Tuesday, October 23, 2007

An year into enterpreneurship

It an year since I started off as an independent stock broker and its been really great. The amazing run of the markets during this period has been a memorable one. And to be a witness to this historic run as an enterpreneur has been more enjoyable. From the business page, the news about markets has now shifted to Page 1, a tribute to the strength of the Indian markets.

I still remember a friend asking whats this "Enterpreneur" and what does he do ? And my good friend Shenoy pulling my legs all the time using this word. I still remember the days when i sat jobless at Karkala enjoying my break after leaving my job and before starting up office. During the times when everyone was looking to earn a good salary with a risk free employment, here I was leaving a good job (that too in Bangalore) just to return back to Ujire. And for what, to become a stock broker. One of the finest advice was from a good friend from Karkal Puranik Mam (who's also a stock broker) who narrating his own experience told me, " Its difficult to get a bride for a stock broker, so just think again" (PS: Of course, when i met him more recently and reminded him about this, he had changed his view on the above subject)

What I have gained during the last year ? Well, I work like a true MNC (strictly for 5 days a week), be at home during weekends, attend almost all samaradhanes in Karkal & Mulki, get to visit festivities at these places, watch movies at Adlabs.

Coming to what i miss, I miss my friends in Bangalore. And also my addas with friends Mayuri, Mcdonalds, Adiga, Upahara Darshini, Paddu, Shantisagar Paav Bhaaji n Dahi puri, Ganesh Juice centre and vada pav at Rajvardhan. Also none of my good friends are here now, they are all at different places.

I can see a change around. When i started investing at 21, people used to tell me stock markets are gambling and its like a aclohol, so better avoid it. Now the same people ask me about investing in stocks. As they say, hmmmmm success changes everything, isnt it ?

Am i planning to quit ? Well, yes, if one of the following 2 things happens:

1. Government decides that markets will be open even on saturday (obviously to boost Service tax and Securities Transaction Tax collections for the government)
2. If i am able to acquire 0.01% stake in my favourite stock, Reliance Industries Ltd (Someone please calculate the amount and mail me :) )

Then, there's lot of speculation about my income. Well, my comments, "Denewala jab bhi deta, deta chappar phadke"

1 comment: